Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Tsunami orphans sold into sex trade

More evidence (like we needed it) that there are lots of people in this world who are just downright evil.

UPDATE (from Centerfield post):

The escalating nature of the pledges (both public and private) from around the world to help the tsunami victims has been astounding. My agenda with this post is to try to find a way to funnel some of that relief to help a specific group: orphans.

For me, although tragedy is everywhere, the stories of the sale of orphans into prostitution really touch a nerve. So my question is this: What organization is best positioned to effectively combat this specific problem, and how do we donate to them? I have already made out the check. I just need to fill in the payee.

UPDATE: I should have mentioned that I have considered UNICEF and if I don't learn of a better option, that is where my money will go. I guess I'm so skeptical of the UN's ability to administer effectively and efficiently any aid relief program that I am hoping that there is another, better option.

(For cross-post at Centerfield and comments posted there, click here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: