Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Bush's press conference

With only 45 minutes notice, Bush announced his intention to give a press conference today. Perhaps his intention was to partially preempt a news-cycle that included reports of the deadliest day in Iraq for Americans since the war started. Personally, I don't think that this White House is that spontaneous and, instead, I think that this press conference was planned with the singular intent to address the building push-back from Congress (including Republicans) on the Social Security issue.

I was home this afternoon with a sick child and, being the geek that I am, I watched a CSPAN repeat of Bush's press conference. It struck me that he kept saying that he was "looking forward to" working with Democrats. I have now found the transcript from the press conference (here), and confirmed that he used the "looking forward to" phrase 15 times. (Gee--I wonder if it was a talking point that was discussed ahead of time?)

I think that Bush understands that his Social Security "reform" agenda is already in deep trouble.

(For substantially similar post at Centerfield and comments posted there, click here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: