Friday, April 28, 2006

Hell has frozen over

For once, I fully agree with Molly Ivins.

Of course there is an Israeli lobby in America; its leading working group is the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). It calls itself "America's Pro-Israel Lobby," and it attempts to influence U.S. legislation and policy.

Several national Jewish organizations lobby from time to time. Big deal -- why is anyone pretending that this non-news requires falling on the floor and howling? Because of this weird deformity of debate.

In the United States, we do not have full-throated, full-throttle debate about Israel. In Israel, they have it as a matter of course, but the truth is that the accusation of anti-Semitism is far too often raised in this country against anyone who criticizes the government of Israel.

Being pro-Israel is no defense, as I long ago learned to my cost. Now I've gotten used to it. Jews who criticize Israel are charmingly labeled "self-hating Jews." As I have often pointed out, that must mean there are a lot of self-hating Israelis, because those folks raise Cain about their own government's policies all the time.

I am a strong supporter of Israel, but its government is not infallible. I'm so tired of the "if you criticize me you are criticizing my _____________ [race/religion/etc.]" line of argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: