Monday, February 13, 2006

Business development strategies

I am envisioning having this conversation with a potential client. See if it sounds at all familiar to you.
[Phone rings.]

Me: Todd speaking.

John Doe: Todd, you were recommended by a friend to help me with a lawsuit.

Me: Great. When would be a good time for us to meet to discuss your lawsuit?

John Doe: How about Friday?

Me: Actually, I only discuss new lawsuits with clients on Thursdays.

John Doe: Okay. That sounds pretty stupid, but I am available during a window of time on this Thursday afternoon. Would you be available at 2:00?

Me: Actually, I can call you on Thursday morning at 8:00 and give you a 2 hour window during which I could meet with you. Obviously, that means that you would need to take the whole day off work to be available at my last minute convenience. After I call you that morning, I would need you to come in and wait in the reception area until I called you in. Would you like to book the appointment?

John Doe: That is the crazyest thing I have ever heard of. I am calling Dial L-A-W-Y-E-R-S. Good luck with this business model that you have adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: