Thursday, September 08, 2005

I'm feeling sick

Story.
Democrats, ready with talking points and working closely, went into full battle mode Wednesday.
Initially, I perceived that the federal preparation for and response to the Katrina disaster was an unmitigated disaster itself. But the more I have learned, the more I have come to the conclusion that, while much of the continuing criticism is very well justified, many things that the feds (as opposed to local, first responders) were actually responsible for were handled competently, if not perfectly. I also can't help but conclude that given the scale of the disaster and the needs to be met (remember, it wasn't just New Orleans; the Mississippi coast is gone), the type of response we would all have preferred in a perfect world would have been almost impossible.

Rather than fair but tough constructive criticism, the Democrats have apparently now decided to try to politicize completely this human tragedy. I was repulsed when that happened on both sides with the 9/11 Commission public hearings (see here), and I am similarly repulsed now.

UPDATE: This, too, is sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: