Tuesday, July 12, 2005

When bad things happen to good people

A good friend of my older brother and the only child of good friends of my parents committed suicide in the early 1970s while a teenager. Obviously, his parents were devastated but within a few years they adopted two children (Fred and Irene) out of foster care. Fred and I were good friends through high school, but we drifted apart thereafter and I would guess that it has been 20 years since I last saw him. I'm told that he got in some trouble with drugs and alcohol over the years, but had stayed clean recently.

I just found out this morning that Fred committed suicide about three weeks ago. For his mom (a widow of 20 years), a 30 year old scab has been ripped off and salt poured into the wound. The self-inflicted deaths of two children -- how awful. My thoughts are definitely with her today, and I'm going to give my kids an extra hug when I get home tonight.

UPDATE: Ramona notes in the comments two other tragedies that this poor woman has endured in her adult life. I hope that she gets special treatment in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: