Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Politics and religion

A few days ago I linked to a George Will column in which he warned against a religious litmus test by Republicans. I would not have thought that it would be similarly necessary to warn against a political litmus test by Baptists.

WAYNESVILLE – The turmoil embroiling East Waynesville Baptist Church and Pastor Chan Chandler is drawing national attention from religious and political groups.

Last October Chandler told those in his congregation “the question then comes in the Baptist Church how do I vote, let me just say this right now if you vote for John Kerry this year you need to repent or resign. You have been holding back God's church way too long. And I know I may get in trouble for saying that, but just pour it on.”

Nine members of East Waynesville say they had their membership revoked last week and 40 others left in protest after tension over political views came to a head, church members say. “Our memberships were terminated because we did not agree to have a political church,” said Thelma Lowe, the lone Republican voted out. “I did not vote for Kerry.”

People who believe as part of their religion that Democrats are evil give me the creeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: