Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Refuge for the homeless

A big story here this week has been about a homeless man found living in a local high school. The story is here. This reminds me of a story from when I was living in Philadelphia. We rented an apartment in a twin home, where one side was a triplex and the owner lived in the other side. From time to time, some young local men would hang around the owner's house and, in exchange for some free meals and and free beer, they would help him with his remodeling projects.

At one point, there was a guy who was around for only a week. At the end of that week, someone broke into the apartment upstairs and stole a bunch of stuff, including a computer that I had loaned to the neighbor. With the owner, we then did a top to bottom search of the house and found that this guy had broken into and had been sleeping in the basement/crawl space. In retrospect, it was obvious that he had simply been casing the place for a week. No point to my tale, other than I was reminded of it by the news story above.

Sometime I will write a post about another guy who hung around the owner's house and how one night, after a few beers, he admitted to the owner and me that he had killed a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: