Saturday, December 11, 2004

Well said

I agree 100% with this from Roger L. Simon.
If there's one thing I have learned in the last few years it's that allegiance to any political party should be transitory. I don't care what the party thinks. I care what I think. The minute it is the other way round, I have lost freedom of thought. The same thing is true of "isms" for me. So unlike Peter Beinart, I am not worried about resurrecting "liberalism" (or applauding "conservatism" for that matter). What interests me is getting more citizens of this country to support our militant position in the war on terror and to support our intervention in Iraq. The spread of democracy is extraordinarily difficult, but it is by far our most serious work. Democracy should be what we are most concerned about. At the moment, it's the only label that interests me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT: